Monday, August 18, 2008

First day of Kindergarten!

Well, today was the BIG day! My brother Adam and Tracie were home to watch Faith & Tegan while I took Hailee to her first day of school. As we drove up to the school parents, children and school busses were everywhere! The reality of it all hit me very fast. My baby is in elementry school! Good thing I wore sunglasses because more than a few tears were shed. My emotions were a combination of pride, sadness and joy. A mix of emotions for sure. As we walked up to her classroom her teacher, Ms. Coony welcomed us. Hailee's good friend Amanda is in the same class so I figured that she would do just fine since she already had a friend. Parents were asked to stay and do "stations" with their child and help them adjust. After doing 3 stations parents were asked to leave. Now mind you for days I've been telling Hailee that I was going to stay for awhile and then when she was comfortable I would leave. Maybe not the best thing for me to have told her. She's always been an outgoing child, making friends and fitting in any situation. It totally threw me off when I said good bye and saw the tears well up in her eyes. She clung to my leg and said "mommy, don't go". The teacher's helper came over to try and calm her down and I kissed her and said "I love you, I'll be back in a few hours". She was a mess, and so was I. I got home around 9:15 and had to try and figure out how to spend the next 2 1/2 hours. I jumped on the phone with a few friends and my sister filling them in on how it went. By 11:00 I was a bundle of nerves so I took Faith & Tegan and went to Costco. At 11:30 I went to go pick her up and guess who had the (and I quote) "funnest day ever"?!? Hailee! She was ALL smiles when I picked her up and said she had so much fun and she loves school! PHEW! She said they learned about Gingerbread houses and even got a gingerbread cookie. She explained all the rules and just couldn't stop about how exciting it was. All that worrying on my part for nothing. Thankfully it turned out to be a good day afterall!


Excited to start Kindergarten!


She was a bit embarassed by her mommy wanting to take pictures . . I convinced her to let me take at LEAST one!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the sweetest story ever and I'm so glad she had such a great day. I too am going to fall apart when I take Clay to school for the first time. Thanks for sharing, tell Hailee Auntie Jessie is proud of her!

The Ivie Family said...

I can't believe that little Hailee is in kindergarten already! Wow, what a huge step. I bet you were dying, I would be. Thanks for sharing.

The Brooks Family said...

I am so happy to hear that she had the funnest day. You had me in suspence, sence i didnt hear back from you and i was out of town. Tell her that we are very proud of her!