Hailee and her bud Abby in front of a stagecoach that was in the museum.
friends! :)
Hailee's class infront of the statue (couldn't fit it in the picture)
Since Hailee's class was learning all about where gold was first discovered they all ventured to the place where it all happened - Coloma. While we have drove through Coloma (if you blink you'll miss it town between Auburn and Placerville) we have never stopped to explore. Wow, I had no idea the gem was in our own back yard! It was a great day! Another mom and I were in charge of a small group and the first thing we did was take a hike up to the giant statue of James Marshall - the first man to discover gold in California.
After the hike back down all the kids were able to actually pan for gold. Whatever gold they found they were able to keep and Hailee was super excited to find a few flakes of the REAL stuff! After all that work it was time for a picnic lunch and then off to explore the outbuildings that were scattered all around the grounds to show what life was like in a gold rush town. It was so interesting and I'm not sure who had more fun, me or the kids! Before the treck back home we did a walk through of the small museum they had on site. After this field trip, I do believe a camping trip to Coloma is in our future!




0 comments:
Post a Comment